The Holidays can a wonderful time of giving... and GAINING!
We at OMNI Medical Center recommend a few foods that naturally stimulate our own production of Serotonin. Serotonin is key in the regulation of appetite, mood, and melatonin production It acts as a calming agent in the brain and aids in healthy sleep patterns.
Serotonin also acts as a satiety signal in the brain, thereby naturally regulating food intake along with reducing our cravings, especially sweets.
So bring on the Christmas cheer and give that Grinch a grin with these tasty treats (and enjoy wearing those "skinny jeans" to the mall)!!!
- Lean Turkey and Chicken Breast - Poultry, especially turkey contains Tryptophan. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid found in foods and helps our bodies to produce the Serotonin we desperately need. So, go ahead, enjoy that Holiday turkey. (And, the nap that may come later!)
- Flaxseed Oil and Olive Oil - Great sources of Omega 3's and an excellent way to add flavor to our foods while providing essential nutrients our bodies need!. It only takes a little and your taste buds will thank you a lot!
- Avocado - A "fruit" full of good fats of Orange Juice!
- Almonds - An amazing little snack packed with calcium and the ability to be used in a million different ways! Top your favorite salad, poultry, or vegetable dish with these sliced treats. Or, just grab a handful on the go, because let's face it... they're delicious!
- Fruit - Fresh Fruit, especially berries, are loaded with anti-oxidants to help boost our immune systems as we battle the cold... and our sweet cravings! Pairing fruit with your protein is an excellent way to maximize the benefits of both. (Want an extra tip? Eat your fruit prior to your protein to boost your metabolism. Your body will thank you!)
OMNI Medical Center wishes you and yours a wonderful Holiday Season!